Meet Karen Siwak
An award-winning Certified Résumé Strategist, Karen has crafted top calibre career transition packages for thousands of clients. Her specialty is helping people identify and articulate their unique brands and value propositions, and she is passionate about empowering clients with the tools, strategies and confidence to take control of their career search.
In the News and Out About Town
Career Management Alliance Annual Conference, Las Vegas, April 2011
The Power of Storytelling in Job Search & Career
Karen Siwak, Executive Director of Resume Confidential will be a panel member for the Career Management Alliance's panel on The Power of Storytelling in Job Search & Career.
Karen will join with other renowned panelists, each an expert in the use of storytelling in job search and career development, as they respond to questions about this dramatic new method of personal branding. Moderated by Kathy Hansen, author of Tell Me About Yourself: Storytelling to Get Jobs and Propel Your Career, this will prove to be a lively and fun discussion.
Each panelist will provide an overview of their professional perspectives on the powerful use of storytelling to advance careers, whether by moving up in a current organization or landing a job in a new organization. Together, we will explore why and how storytelling is especially useful and effective in career exploration/career planning/career choice, networking, resumes, cover letters, interviewing, portfolios, and personal branding. Plus, you will get tips and points on using storytelling techniques with your clients.
For more information, please visit: http://conference.careermanagementalliance.com/
Reviews and Mentions
- Online Degree: 100 Excellent, Inspiring Career Coaches on Twitter "Karen Siwak: This (comparatively) edgy Twitterer hopes to break down barriers when it comes to the dos and don’ts of applying for a job and writing up a worthwhile resume..."
- Holding Out for a Hero...Career! "I thought I was alone until I read a fantastic article on changing jobs after the recession by resume strategist, Karen Siwak..."
- In Transition - A Search for a New Home "We all know that in a job search you need to get the decision-maker’s attention. You just can’t blend into the group of all the others who are looking for work. You need to stand above the maddening crowd and provide the impression that you are just the right candidate for the opening. Karen Siwak, a blogger at believes the best way to get noticed is to tell your unique story..."
- Seven Surprisingly Creative, Well-Paid Jobs "Product managers helps design packaging and create the brand for new products, as well as reposition old goods to catch consumers' attention again. Skills needed include color, design and marketing savvy, and an understanding of consumer behavior and trends, says Toronto-based certified resume specialist Karen Siwak of Resume Confidential..."
- A Storied Career "The following is the summary — which I told as a story — that I gave of the storytelling track at the just completed conference of the Career Management Alliance... Karen Siwak told her that stories are a resume differentiator, but most resumes don’t tell a compelling story..."
- Beyond CAR/PAR/SAR Stories In Your Resume: "A great career story will be a resume differentiator,” Karen Siwak says. “Everyone will have compelling stories that will make them different. Two people can have similar metrics and achievements, but the context in which those occur is what will make one candidate stand out from another..."
- The Search Firm Insider: Who Does Your Resume Appeal To? "Karen Siwak can tell a story, that’s what makes her a good resume writer. She can also tell an accurate story that is unique to the job seeker, that’s what makes her a great resume writer...."
- HR Margo Rose HireFriday: "When I met Karen Siwak, @ResumeStrategy on Twitter, I knew in my heart, I’d met a grammatical sexy wizard..."
- More Support for Storied Resumes -- But No Easy Answers: "Siwak compares career storytelling to the third day of canoe tripping when all pretenses are gone, and each of us has been revealed for who we are, in all our glorious colour and complexity..."
- BNET: Top Myths About Passion and Career, Busted! "Among my young and career-oriented friends, the scales seem to tip towards the latter view with many feeling a nagging inadequacy that their job is just a job and that if they could just find their true calling all their career woes would disappear. Forget it, argues blog CAREEREALISM [author Karen Siwak]. If you’re always longing for some magic revelation, you’ve fallen prey to one of the common myths that cloud our thinking about passion and careers, and it’s high time we busted them...."
- Career Professionals of Canada 2009 Awards: "Career Professionals of Canada boasts some of the top career practitioners in the country, and we’re so proud to call you our own. Together, we are setting the standards in our industry. Here are Career Professionals of Canada’s 2009 Outstanding Canadian Career Recipients..."
- Human Capital & New Media: "Jobseeker takeaways from an Extreme Candidate Makeover with Karen Siwak..."
- Twitter Starter Kit for Canadian Jobseekers "Twitter has become a key tool in Canadian job search arsenals. 'Relying on job boards to land your next great job is a sure fire way to a never-ending job search,' says Karen Siwak, Executive Director of Resume Confidential..."
For millions of Canadians, the resume plays a critical role in the success or failure of a job search. Job seekers know that their resume must stand apart from the rest on the recruiter's desk, as a superb resume is the key to winning that all-important interview. This one of a kind resource offers resume and cover letter samples from some of the leading career strategists.
For more information please visit: http://sharongraham.ca/best-canadian-resumes/sharons-career-bookstore/
Karen Siwak's articles featured in:
- The Recruiter's Lounge
- McDermott & Bull Executive Network
- Art Bistro Monster.com
- UK International Business Times
- College Monster.com
- Talent Tech
- Employment Mag
- International Business Times
- The Willow Studio
- Industry Mailout
- The Essential HR Handbook
- Hit The Ground Running
- BC Jobs
- Inside Tech Monster.com
- Find, Follow & Live Your Passion
Why use a Certified Résumé Strategist
A strategically thought-out and well-crafted résumé is an essential marketing tool in your job search arsenal. Just as the "cutting-edge" in marketing continuously evolves, so does the cutting edge in résumé design. If you aren't using today's best practices in résumé style, structure and content, then you run the risk that your résumé will never get noticed.
Our Ten-Step Process and Guarantee
A strategically written and well-crafted résumé is an essential marketing tool in your job search arsenal. It can be one of the most cost-effective investments you will ever make in your career. Not only can it greatly shorten the time it takes to land your next great job, but the insights you gain on your personal value proposition will be invaluable in acing an interview and making a sustained impression in networking events.
Feedback from Our Clients
As Dave Howlett, Founder and Managing Director of the Real Human Being networking assocation sagely advises, "you can't call yourself a 'good guy' or 'amazing woman' but you can always act like one." The best indication of our commitment to RHB principles is the feedback we receive from our clients.
Memberships and Affiliations
We are proud members of some leading professional development and networking organizations.
Meet Karen Siwak
An award-winning Certified Résumé Strategist, Karen has crafted top calibre career transition packages for thousands of clients. Her specialty is helping people identify and articulate their unique brands and value propositions, and she is passionate about empowering clients with the tools, strategies and confidence to take control of their career search. Read more...
- Recruiter & HR News
- About Us
- Career Marketing & Job Search Coaching Packages
- Case Studies and Samples